Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) is free and open-source software for video recording and live streaming. You can stream from OBS to BoxCast two different ways.
How to set up RTMP in OBS
Step 1: Copy your Server URL and Stream Key from your BoxCast Sources.
Step 2: In OBS, click on the Settings tab.
Step 3: Click Stream and enter the RTMP URL and Stream Key in those fields.
Step 4: Make sure you have a broadcast scheduled in the BoxCast Dashboard and hit Stream.
Using a BoxCaster
The recommended way to stream from OBS to a BoxCaster is to use Projector Mode to send the program feed to a secondary HDMI output that is plugged into the BoxCaster. Using this approach provides the following advantages:
- The BoxCaster’s hardware encoding relieves your computer of the task of encoding the video and audio. Hardware encoding is more reliable and efficient.
- The BoxCaster can take advantage of specially designed communication protocols to optimize your available network connectivity — OBS can't.
- The BoxCaster gives us the ability to help troubleshoot any issues with your broadcast, including hundreds of data points and logs our expert streaming coaches can look at. OBS provides limited troubleshooting capability.
To Stream from OBS through your BoxCaster
- Connect the BoxCaster to your computer via the appropriate cables (Display to HDMI, Thunderbolt to HDMI, VGA to HDMI, etc).
- The BoxCaster should be recognized by your computer as a second monitor, so you'll need to ensure your display settings are set to recognize your computer as the primary display and BoxCast as a secondary display (look below step 5 for instructions)
- Next, make sure you direct your audio to go out via HDMI to the BoxCaster. If this isn't done BEFORE you open OBS, your audio won't appear on the stream.
- Start and configure OBS as desired.
- Right-click or Command-click on the preview window and choose Monitor 1 or BoxCast from the Projector menu.
Note: Be aware that OBS will not pass audio while in Projector mode.
PC: Panel Items - Display - Screen Resolution - switch Display dropdown to Boxcast
Mac: System Preferences - Displays - AirPlay Display dropdown - Turn OFF